Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > CUSTOMIZED ANIMALS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2011, 02:00 AM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default Questions about custom zoo.

I am making zoo exhibits for my Safari LTD/Schleich animals. I am having trouble, though. I am trying to make Iron bar fences and avairies, but I do not know what kind of materiials to use. I am also having problems suspending whales, and sea animals in water, without damaging anything. Any suggestions, please?
Old 5th July 2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyrhinosaurus View Post
I am making zoo exhibits for my Safari LTD/Schleich animals. I am having trouble, though. I am trying to make Iron bar fences and avairies, but I do not know what kind of materiials to use. I am also having problems suspending whales, and sea animals in water, without damaging anything. Any suggestions, please?
There are several things you can use, the main problem you will have is the scale, not only of the fencing but of the animals themselves, not all of them are in the same scale even within a particular brand.

For starters lets look at the problem of your cage bars, I would look on the model railroad web sites, they have all sorts of materials from simple railing to chain link fences and everything in between including barb and razor wire. I know there are wrought iron fences and gates made so I don't see why they wouldn't have plain iron bars for the display you are thinking. You can also make them from hobby wire and just buy the posts from craft stores like Micheal's or a hobby shop.

For the aviary netting I would use an old screen window that you can cut out the screen. If you want something with a little larger guage there are several materials that are for giving support to paper mache, I use one that is perfect for a larger scale chain link and if you paint it black it would work perfect for the sides and top of a display such as the one at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, they have a fantastic aviary that is huge and covered in a thick plastic covered wire that looks a lot like chain link.

As for the whales, again I have several ideas, the first is the easiest to use but may be hard to find. They make clear acrylic stands for models, if you submerge the stand it will become almost invisible once the water is added. The second is harder to do but will look better, especially under water. Use very thin monofilament fishing line, for lightweight tackel. Tie a figure 8 around the pectoral fins and attach the center of the line along the back, moving it forward or backwards, left or right depending on the angle you want for the animals pose. The problem with this is what to attach the line to? On my diorama I hang the flying animals, I have flying foxes and bearded vultures on there now. and I hang the wire from the rafters in my work shop. A simple tack to the ceiling of your room above the model will work but it will also leave small holes up there. Finally the 3rd option I have you may not like, take clear plastic tubing and glue it to the bottom or side of the model and attach the other end to the diorama. This may leave a mark on the model but if you use a good quality PVA glue such as elmers, it will dry clear and is easy to clean up later with just water and a little rubbing. This may mark the paint but it won't damage the model itself, still this would be my last choice so you don't have to worry about any sort of damage.
Old 5th July 2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you for the information. I do think that I will be making fences opposed to buying them. I am also thinking of usting fishing line to tie to... or maybe just use the stands. I think I can find something for the avairies. Now, I wonder how I can make a fence strong enough for a T .rex?
Old 6th July 2011, 11:00 PM
chief nitwit/chef beweter

Good Luck with your zoo.

I think you may have to electrify the T-rex fencing and it would make for a lot of interest if it really worked. (just a tiny jolt)
Old 7th July 2011, 12:16 AM

That would be funny, I could imagine a cousin of mine either fascinated or scared by it. Unfortunately, I do not think I a am too good an electrician. I once held two wires to a light bulb for a science fair project, but this may be harder.