Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > VINTAGE BRANDS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2010, 11:27 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default My childhood collection

In 80s and erly 90s when I was a kid, I was collecting those little animal figures. Back then it didn't interest me which brand are they, but from what I saw online recently, at least part of them are Britains... or some kind of copies. Small part of them are fron asian (chinese?) origin. And all of them were manufactured at least 15 years ago, this I can say for shure.
Part of them, whiches painting quality didn't satisfy me I've repainted as a child. Some where repainted for other reasons, for example I wanted the donkeys to become zebras, so I tried to do so by drowing stripes on them and so on.
So here they are for your judgement.
P.S. If any of them is interesting you specifically I can add a bigger photo.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:33 AM

What a beautiful collection Garfield.
I tried to found my child collection in my mother's home, but for now has been impossible.
I remember my figurines were similar to yours. My collection was from early 80s. Today I'll visit her and your post will be a boost to search again.
Old 31st October 2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Rai View Post
What a beautiful collection Garfield.
I tried to found my child collection in my mother's home, but for now has been impossible.
I remember my figurines were similar to yours. My collection was from early 80s. Today I'll visit her and your post will be a boost to search again.
Thank you and good luck in your searches. Share some pics when you find it.
Old 31st October 2010, 02:34 PM

What a great collection you have! I love Britains, I have a few older ones myself, they were my dad's and he gave them to me to look after
Old 31st October 2010, 09:28 PM

I also see some of my childhood animals from the 80s on your pictures! But my collection was a bit lesser, and now it's gone...
Old 11th January 2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
In 80s and erly 90s when I was a kid, I was collecting those little animal figures. Back then it didn't interest me which brand are they, but from what I saw online recently, at least part of them are Britains... or some kind of copies. Small part of them are fron asian (chinese?) origin. And all of them were manufactured at least 15 years ago, this I can say for shure.
Part of them, whiches painting quality didn't satisfy me I've repainted as a child. Some where repainted for other reasons, for example I wanted the donkeys to become zebras, so I tried to do so by drowing stripes on them and so on.
So here they are for your judgement.
P.S. If any of them is interesting you specifically I can add a bigger photo.
I know some of Your figures from my childhood. I think some figures come certainly from Poland (camels, polar bear, smaller giraffe, antelope, brown cows, brown horses, darker kangaroos, bison), I bought these in Czech Republic in plastic bag with dark-green eticket and the producer name was only the 3 or 4 chars but I forgot it. Another seems to be VEB Plaho figures (roe-buck family) from German Democratic Republic or Marolins (Marolin produced some Plaho figures after Plaho restructuralization). Please send me photo in better resolution to my e-mail.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemusim_holandsky_vidlaky View Post
I know some of Your figures from my childhood. I think some figures come certainly from Poland (camels, polar bear, smaller giraffe, antelope, brown cows, brown horses, darker kangaroos, bison), I bought these in Czech Republic in plastic bag with dark-green eticket and the producer name was only the 3 or 4 chars but I forgot it. Another seems to be VEB Plaho figures (roe-buck family) from German Democratic Republic or Marolins (Marolin produced some Plaho figures after Plaho restructuralization). Please send me photo in better resolution to my e-mail.
Wow... thank you very much for this explanation. Now it makes sence, how did they get to USSR, from other Warsaw pact countries. Now, after your mentioning it, I think I do remember that dark-green eticket with some white "E"- like sign on it.
Will send you better photos later today.
Thanks.
Old 12th January 2011, 02:04 PM

I also had most of those when I was a child, esp. the Britian ones. I wish I kept them but yet I got nephews and nieces who played with, broke and lost them...what a blast from the past seeing those pictures. Kudos for keeping them for so long.
Old 17th January 2011, 08:58 AM

I saw detailed photos (linked in your e-mail message) and here are my observations :)

Horses - the figure on the right is certainly Polish one, the ears and figure surfaces of the rest are different.

Giraffes - I bought the remoter one in the Polish package; my figure is a little unstable and came with very low-quality coloring, so I "repainted" it with marker pen; as I see, your figures are repainted the same way, so propably both are Polish products (but header shapes are slightly different)

Polar bears - I see no real differences between your 3 figures, all are Polish products packaged with little black bear and roaring lion

Camels - both are certainly Polish with some additional post-panting

Roe-deer family are propably original VEB Plaho figures; Marolin figures have more white painting (espec. neck of the male figure)

Bison - has the same shape as my (Polish) figure but I am confused with lighter ground. My figure is completely dark with white painted eyes and red painted nose

Kangaroos - the figure on the left is the same I received with lama and tapir

Antelopes - I donīt know the sable antelope; the 3 figures in the middle are Polish, packaged with giraffe and bison; the eland antelope on the right is propably Asian one (China or HK)

Cows - I donīt know the cow on the left, the another two are Polish

Cows and calfs - the only one I know from this set is the calf in the middle, shipped with white spots and packaged with the brown cow, brown horse, sheep and pig.

As reference see my attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl_farm.jpg (116.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pl_hoof.jpg (125.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg pl_exotic.jpg (90.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg pl_carnivors.jpg (66.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pl_camels.jpg (98.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 17th January 2011, 12:03 PM

That sure brings back some memories. I distinctly remember having that brown hippo. A lot of the others look familiar, too.

Thanks for sharing!

-Izzy