Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > VINTAGE BRANDS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 13th January 2009, 05:11 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default JOEL Zoo Animals?

Living in London, I have always visited the natural history museum.

Back in the 1990s when I visited as a child I always purchased small 'Britians' sized plastic animals that were avaialble in the museum store. The animals were in large plastic tubs and could be individually bought and included many animals such as Tapir, Impala Gazelles, wild pics and my favourite of all a Waterbuck antelope. They were made of plastic but slightly softer than Britians but still highly detailed.

I lost my collection many years ago but have never been able to track these models since as the museum stopped selling these over 12 years ago.

All the models had the word 'JOEL' printed under them and I assume they were from china.

Does anyone have any ideas what models I am referring to or ever come across any Joel animals?
Old 14th January 2009, 03:36 PM

Oh yes, the tapir-malay- is britains but Joel were sold in the same outlets all over UK and possibly France too- one of mine came from there. They were sold in many zoo and safari parks too, they did a range of african animals, and a young tigon, company was based in hongkong and disapered without trace in 1990 I think.
They are my favourite 1 to 32 scale and in England I have a really nice collection, bushpig is awesome and yes my waterbucks look stunning !
Old 14th January 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertelephant
Oh yes, the tapir-malay- is britains but Joel were sold in the same outlets all over UK and possibly France too- one of mine came from there. They were sold in many zoo and safari parks too, they did a range of african animals, and a young tigon, company was based in hongkong and disapered without trace in 1990 I think.
They are my favourite 1 to 32 scale and in England I have a really nice collection, bushpig is awesome and yes my waterbucks look stunning !
Hi Robert

Thanks for letting me know! Can you give me more information about the company? i used to buy them from the Natural History museum up until around 1994 so i guess it must have been old stock.

I had a collection but it was all lost in the 90s so i cannto remember what the models look like anymore other than the waterbuck.

Can you please send me photos of the Joel models? I would really appreciate it!

Secondly do you have any spare ones you could part with or trade for with Britians models or something? in particular the waterbuck and other antelope...

let me know thanks
Old 15th January 2009, 07:36 AM

Robert, if You've got them, please put photos here. I would like to see this animals...
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:05 PM

HI this is an old post....has anyone got any photos of the Joel animals range? I know a couple of the antelope were once posted but it would be great to see more photos of all the animals in this range or a catalogue photo or something?
Old 24th February 2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleichzoo View Post
HI this is an old post....has anyone got any photos of the Joel animals range? I know a couple of the antelope were once posted but it would be great to see more photos of all the animals in this range or a catalogue photo or something?
Yes we need more pics and to call them by their real name JEOL

By the way Robert, you promised me to show your Jeol when you come back to England. I can't wait to see the bushpig...
Old 24th February 2010, 07:41 AM

I have a lioness by joel, which I posted pictures of a while ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lioness.jpg (35.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 5th October 2010, 09:05 PM

I know this is an old post but I have a small picture (was bad quality to begin with) of some JOEL figures. Please note only the the zebras, hyenas, water buck and impala (I think) are made by JOEL. The elephant and rhino are made by another company while the far right zebra is a Britains.

I saved this picture from an ebay auction a long time ago, I don't own any of these.

Old 5th October 2010, 11:45 PM

thanks so much for posting these. the pic is great! I wish I won this auction! I never see these models on ebay!

cheers :-)
Old 6th October 2010, 01:59 PM

I would love to have those waterbuck!