Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > JUST FOR FUN/FUNHOEK > OTHER INTERESTS, NEWS AND SILLINESS/ANDERE NIEUWTJES EN GRAPPIGE ZAKEN
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 1st January 2016, 02:35 AM
"She from Down Under"

Default Happy New Year.

Happy New Year all.
(sorry I have not been more actively lately. I do regularly check in and will continue to do so. I don't do News Years resolutions but if did then posting here would be on the list. I will just do so anyway.)

Cheers
Janette
Old 5th January 2016, 12:53 PM
Just call me Mad Nick - an Original Reporter

Hello Janette, happy new year to you as well and to all. I visit LG everyday and somehow I missed this post. I'm pretty much in the same position, plus, I've become lazy.... Let see if I can change that a little this year.

Mad Nick
Old 5th January 2016, 03:39 PM
"Feuerwehrkommandant"

Happy new year from the UK, too. Old age and demands outside Playmobil are keeping me from doing much, I'm afraid.
Old 6th January 2016, 01:14 AM
"She from Down Under"

I hope that all is well Gordon. I do miss your photos.
I will try and post more this year, to keep this forum going as much for the community as for Playmobil. It is nice to keep in touch.
cheers
Janette
Old 7th January 2016, 01:08 AM
"Feuerwehrkommandant"

We've had a few pressured years, Janette. In 2012 Diane's mother became increasingly unable to be left to look after herself as she had Alzheimer's and so we had quite a bit of travelling around helping Diane's sister find suitable accommodation for her (Diane's mother was about 60 miles from Diane and her sister, although in different directions) and then moving her in. Over the next couple of years, she got worse and this involved finding other accommodation on two occasions, with more travelling to help Diane's sister, although in all fairness most of the load fell on Diane's sister as she lived nearer by now (only about 10 minutes from their mother). On the brighter side, it did bring Diane and her sister and her niece and nephew closer. Diane's mother died late in 2014, which in a way was a relief as she was 91 and only deteriorating all the time. During this time, I have noticed that Diane seems to be showing some of the same symptoms as her mother, although it may just be that she is just getting older and nothing more than that, but I think her niece has noticed as well from something she said when we were all together. However, we shall just have to wait and see.

We moved to where we are now nearly five and a half years ago now and as we couldn't sell our previous place at the time we rented it out. In March, 2015, our long-term tenant suddenly gave notice for family reasons and so we put the place on the market. Within a few days we had more viewings than we had had in the three years it was up for sale before we moved! All was going well until the surveyor for our buyer said there was subsidence and, although this was confirmed as only slight subsidence and the insurance company quickly acted on it, it has meant that we have lost two buyers for one reason or another because subsidence, however slight, is the kiss of death over here. Late September, a third buyer came along and we are still negotiating with her, having reduced the price, paid for paperwork and so on. Every step forward seems to be reversed within a few days or weeks and the number of times we've (i.e. me as I do the driving) driven over to our old place to look at a possible problem or meet with an engineer or surveyor is uncountable. It's a round trip of 115 to 120 miles (not a lot in Ozzie terms, I know) but because of the roads those 115 to 120 miles take up three to four hours in the day. Hopefully, the end in one way or another may be in sight, although it will probably involve spending more money!

Again, on the brighter side we have a wonderful five and a half year old great niece (sole survivor of twins) who loves coming here and loves Playmobil. It's a delight to see how much her mum and dad love her and she loves them.

I meant to post some stuff last year, and I will try to do so in the next few weeks, although I am running down my collection and concentrating more on the trains.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:18 PM
"She from Down Under"

Sorry to hear about your troubles Gordon. I hope the house issue is resolved soon.
Regards
Janette
Old 8th January 2016, 02:04 AM

Same here Gordon, I hope the house issue gets fixed soon. I like the positive spin you put on things.

Mad Nick
Old 8th January 2016, 02:16 AM

Generally speaking we had a good 2015. Work is going well, I planned to become on of the pillars of the team and that has worked out very well. I have a new supervisor, not as good as the first but it is working out for now. On the home front things are going well. My wife's year was a little more difficult, work and taking care of her father made for a frustrating year. We continue to lean on each other for support. She is a fantastic mother, great friend and the love of my life.

Most of my Playmobils are in boxes, a small number of sets are in display. Somehow they have been replaced by Legos. I haven't spent anytime real time on any of my 2015 projects. To be honest, mostly because I've been lazy.

I guess that is it for now.

Mad Nick