Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > GENERAL DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 30th March 2011, 04:29 AM
Helen's Avatar
Helen Helen is offline
chief nitwit/chef beweter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,351
Default

Actually I don't think of Bald Eagles first when I'm asked to think of what an eagle looks like. I think I think of Golden Eagles - and when I first saw a model of a "Bald Eagle" I thought "That's neat! A Fish Eagle".

Now that could be because I didn't grow up in North America and somehow a Golden Eagle was far more intriguing than a Fish Or Bald Eagle even though they are of similiar size. As a kid I would have loved to get a Harpy Eagle model because they looked as though they were trying to hide their eagle looks by wearing wigs.

There are differences between Fish and Bald Eagles, but they are remarkablely similiar in appearance and with a few minor changes all those extra Bald Eagles could easily become Fish Eagles. In fact,if you're lucky,you'll find a few Bald Eagles who've been painted by someone who actually thinks they're Fish Eagles. So because of these mistakes you have a Fish Eagle model to be proud of.

Thinking about the name "Bald Eagle" it really isn't a nice name at all because they're not bald and don't even look bald. So the name alone should be thought of as offensive.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30th March 2011, 01:23 PM
Fireplume's Avatar
Fireplume Fireplume is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Corning CA
Posts: 75
Default

Their name comes from the older meaning of the word meaning "white-headed."
__________________
Sorry I haven't been here LG members, but I'm here now!

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10th April 2011, 07:25 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

Do you think, Potamus, you're the only one who's tired of seeing always the same species!? Jeeee! There are plenty of animals here that I boycotted from my new acquisitions for a loooong time! Here are the animals I just cannot stand seeing made over and over again anymore:

1- BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN
If there is an animal that monopolises the market, it's this one. Just like if it was the only dolphin species in the world. While bottlenose dolphins were selling toys over the planet... baiji dolphin went extinct without almost anyone to notice it.

2- AFRICAN ELEPHANT
OK, there are not plenty of elephant species in the world (only two remaining), but can we see something else than african elephants? Please, we see them in dollar stores, so don't waste your time making 20$ worting elephants we can buy somewhere else for 1$!

3- LION
The animal which is in everyone's house. What is child's room without 100 lions? And all males! Pffffff...

4- TIGER
100 lions go with 100 tigers. Everyone knows they are the only big cats living in the world. Let me laugh...

5- GIRAFFE
They are so common I won't spend a line describing it.

6- TYRANNOSAURUS REX
A challenge for you: find a single toy company who didn't make a Tyrannosaurus Rex. 1000 $ price will go to the first person to find one.

7- STEGOSAURUS
Of course, Tyrannosaurus Rex needs at least one prey to attack. Even if it wasn't living in the same geological period.

8- TRICERATOPS
I've seen them since the day I was born. So common I used to think they were still living in our world when I was four. At least it has Stegosaurus to hang out with.

9- KILLER WHALE
Since Walt Disney's Free Willy, we see them everywhere. Many kids think they are the only living relative to the bottlenose dolphin.

10- GREAT WHITE SHARK
Another champion to my monopolising animals list in the toy market. All cheap sharks are actually great whites. No tiger sharks, no leaopard sharks, no bullsharks. But Great White sharks. Available at 99¢ in all Cheaporama stores in the world.

11- HIPPOPOTAMUS AMPHIBIUS
No child's room is full without its 100 hippos to go with its 100 lions and 100 tigers. How many people know there are actually TWO species of hippos?

12- BLACK RHINOCEROS
Of course! 100 hippopotamuses go with 100 black rhinos! Why didn't I think of that?

So, if you're tired of seing bald eagles... here is a list to make you realise bald eagle toys may not be so common after all...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10th April 2011, 09:41 PM
HyenaSean HyenaSean is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastend, Saskatchewan
Posts: 353
Default

Yobe didn't make a Tyrannosaurus for it's small dinosaur line...and the Digitcards Predators line didn't have one that I am aware of either. Neither did the Yowies figures in the Lost Kingdom sets.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12th April 2011, 06:41 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyenaSean View Post
Yobe didn't make a Tyrannosaurus for it's small dinosaur line...and the Digitcards Predators line didn't have one that I am aware of either. Neither did the Yowies figures in the Lost Kingdom sets.
Really!? Well, introduce those lines to me then! I'll personnally congratulate them for not repeating the same cliché as the others!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12th April 2011, 06:46 PM
HyenaSean HyenaSean is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastend, Saskatchewan
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
Really!? Well, introduce those lines to me then! I'll personnally congratulate them for not repeating the same cliché as the others!
Perhaps, but overall those would not be considered museum-quality figures! As for large scale lines, or high-end lines, they all include T.rex. They have to, because they want to sell figures.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:13 PM
Potamus Potamus is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hoth
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
Do you think, Potamus, you're the only one who's tired of seeing always the same species!? Jeeee! There are plenty of animals here that I boycotted from my new acquisitions for a loooong time! Here are the animals I just cannot stand seeing made over and over again anymore:

1- BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN
If there is an animal that monopolises the market, it's this one. Just like if it was the only dolphin species in the world. While bottlenose dolphins were selling toys over the planet... baiji dolphin went extinct without almost anyone to notice it.

2- AFRICAN ELEPHANT
OK, there are not plenty of elephant species in the world (only two remaining), but can we see something else than african elephants? Please, we see them in dollar stores, so don't waste your time making 20$ worting elephants we can buy somewhere else for 1$!

3- LION
The animal which is in everyone's house. What is child's room without 100 lions? And all males! Pffffff...

4- TIGER
100 lions go with 100 tigers. Everyone knows they are the only big cats living in the world. Let me laugh...

5- GIRAFFE
They are so common I won't spend a line describing it.

6- TYRANNOSAURUS REX
A challenge for you: find a single toy company who didn't make a Tyrannosaurus Rex. 1000 $ price will go to the first person to find one.

7- STEGOSAURUS
Of course, Tyrannosaurus Rex needs at least one prey to attack. Even if it wasn't living in the same geological period.

8- TRICERATOPS
I've seen them since the day I was born. So common I used to think they were still living in our world when I was four. At least it has Stegosaurus to hang out with.

9- KILLER WHALE
Since Walt Disney's Free Willy, we see them everywhere. Many kids think they are the only living relative to the bottlenose dolphin.

10- GREAT WHITE SHARK
Another champion to my monopolising animals list in the toy market. All cheap sharks are actually great whites. No tiger sharks, no leaopard sharks, no bullsharks. But Great White sharks. Available at 99¢ in all Cheaporama stores in the world.

11- HIPPOPOTAMUS AMPHIBIUS
No child's room is full without its 100 hippos to go with its 100 lions and 100 tigers. How many people know there are actually TWO species of hippos?

12- BLACK RHINOCEROS
Of course! 100 hippopotamuses go with 100 black rhinos! Why didn't I think of that?

So, if you're tired of seing bald eagles... here is a list to make you realise bald eagle toys may not be so common after all...
I know what you mean! Still, the fact remains that for most of these there's only one species per body shape, if you get my point. If you sculpt a lion or orca, they can really only be a lion or orca. A bald eagle model, on the other hand, can with a simple repaint pass for at least 4-5 other species. With the amount of white tigers out there, you'd think companies would be well aware of how to get the maximum amount of different models out of one mold - why not apply that to the eagles as well?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:42 PM
Potamus Potamus is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hoth
Posts: 142
Default

Just to prove my point, here's the Bullyland repainted to a Steller's sea eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus). I can't really work up any enthusiasm for this model... it's not bad, it's just not very interesting. Still, it's big and looks, proportionally, bigger than the others, so Steller seems like the logical choice.



After much poring over Raptors of the world (an excellent book, BTW) I decided my Schleich would look great as a white-bellied fish eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster). Looks like an eagle wearing a seagull's clothes, doesn't it?


An expert will be quick to point out that of course there's more than color that differentiates the species - but you know what, IMO an "almost right" is still better than a "didn't even bother trying".
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

It reminds me of the whales boxsets by Larami. Their bowhead whale and their fin whale are extremely bad (they made "bowhead" a "flathead" and the finwhale has its jaw way too roundish), but at least, they tried breaking the clichés! They tried to represent less-known species. This is why I bought them in 1997 (even though I repainted my bowhead to make it more accurate) and I forgive them for their lack of accuracy. Neither super-accurate Safari ltd nor super-detailed Papo even bothered to try. A bowhead whale? a finwhale? What's that? Animals from Lords of the Rings? Pffff... Thumbs up to Larami!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30th August 2011, 06:58 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

By the way, did you see the fantastic new line of birds of prey by Bullyland? There are a few interesting species there.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.