Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > CUSTOMIZED ANIMALS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2009, 07:48 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default new water buffalo

OK, I am no Ana, but I have been modeling rocks and trees and thought I would try something new. fMy thoughts are to make a water buffalo that is partially submerges like the old Marx waterbuffalo from the Daktari playsets of the 50's and 60's made here in America. My first step was to find buffalo pictures on the internet, then I sculpted the head, shoulders and back in seperate parts and put them together, here is the photo before baking to harden, after that I will sculpt the eyes better and paint. Tell me what you think, I made it about the size of Schleich cattle, when I look at it I think it is a little big, but it was my first try, if I like the finished product I will do more and maybe make it a little smaller.

Tell me what you think.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:21 AM
WILLYBACOBOY

Is everybody getting an artist around here?
Not bad for a first attempt Phil.
I would take the Schleich cattle size or Cape-buffalo indeed.
But i think the horns are to big in compare to the animal.
But first finish it,and then we can see how it works out on this model.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:37 AM

I think you are doing a good job since that is your first attempt! Show us please also once you have finished it!

paolo
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:11 PM

Thumbs up

I think You catch the main character of this animal.And it's great that You start to do it, this always teach You to look at the animals more carefully. Of course we wait to see this water buffalo painted .
Old 22nd November 2009, 04:33 PM

Figure two, and the first coat of paint on the first buffalo, I put several shades to see what I liked, and as for now it is too dark so I will lighten it up and paint the second figure at the same time.
Old 22nd November 2009, 06:38 PM

That is very neat. From the looks of it, I think you did a great job.
Old 22nd November 2009, 06:57 PM

I agree with Willy. It's a nice buffalo. Although I also noticed that the horns are quite big for a Cape Buffalo if you really meant is a Cape Buffalo? It is actually more looks like a domesticated water buffalo that's being used for plowing rice fields here in Southeast Asia.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersword1973 View Post
I agree with Willy. It's a nice buffalo. Although I also noticed that the horns are quite big for a Cape Buffalo if you really meant is a Cape Buffalo? It is actually more looks like a domesticated water buffalo that's being used for plowing rice fields here in Southeast Asia.
That is exactly what it is, this figure is for the Asian diorama, not Africa. I have just baked the second figure and the paint is drying, but I am not really happy with it. The main problems are that it is too bulky and not very defined, Ana has sent me an email of how she sculpts, and I don't have the patience or the skill to do what she does so in the future all custom animals will be hers, though I may still work at it, these are my first try and there are so many animals that I want it would be great, but I have not the time to learn or the skill to just do it.

My thoughts for the Indian/Asian diorama is to have a deep river, add 4 to 5 elephants, 3 full figures and 2 that are partials and in the water, along with 2 water buffalo (domestic types) to the river, and on the edge a grass flat that goes up to the edge of a forest. In the forest will be a tapir and a tiger, watching the flats where the asian antelopes will be, I have a pr of blackbuck that you have seen photos of in earlier posts, a pr of nilgai antelope, a herd of spotted deer, all grazing on the grass out in front of the trees. Along with that are my smaller animals and birds. It will only be 1/2 the size of the african diorama, and the grass will be bright green of a tropical scene, with overhanging trees and monkeys, along with whatever else I can find space for.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:40 PM

Then you are on the right track, Phil. Carry on because your vision is just nice. Maybe you can also include the Indian Gaur into your list of Asian animals.
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersword1973 View Post
Then you are on the right track, Phil. Carry on because your vision is just nice. Maybe you can also include the Indian Gaur into your list of Asian animals.
That is something that I have talked to Ana about, but for now it is on the back burner, first I want the nilgai, and water buffalo and elephants, eventually I want some spotted deer for the model as well, but at some point there will probably be a guar.