Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > JUST FOR FUN/FUNHOEK > SPORT/SPORTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2010, 07:55 PM
Just call me Mad Nick - an Original Reporter

Default 2010 World Cup

Will you be watching the World Cup?

We are, my son is hoping for a win by Spain. I'm hoping for an England win. I'm watching the game between England and USA as I'm typing this. I have to say that I'm not very impressed with how the English are playing. The USA goal eas so lucky. They have to win.

Mad Nick
Old 12th June 2010, 08:52 PM

England vs USA ended 1-1. Very disapointing. I hope the do better in the next games.

Mad Nick
Old 13th June 2010, 03:00 AM
chief nitwit/chef beweter

I'm not really a soccer fan, but it is being shown in so many joints around here that after hearing fans being noisy I took a look and was very surprised to see that the US team was holding it's own against the UK team. Seemed bizarre to me but it goes to show that the UK team may have to settle down and start playing better in the next coupling.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:57 AM

So a few upsets and funny not many fans around here.
Old 26th June 2010, 06:02 AM
"Feuerwehrkommandant"

Neither me nor Diane are soccer fans, but I know that Diane, as an American, is pleased how well the USA has done so far and we are both disappointed that the load of overpaid and untalented clowns called the England team have got as far as they have. Fortunately, if previous form is anything to go by they will disappear from the competition sooner rather than later.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:04 PM
"notorious playmo pirate"

very un-Dutch of me, but the world cup doesn't interest me at all.
Most Dutch people are very down to earth most of the time. This is completely the opposite when it comes to international football/soccer. Whether it is the European cup or the World cup, everyone goes beserk in orange colors; house decorations, clothing, make up, gadgets, simply a multi million business!

Primairy school kids were given time off to watch the first Dutch game at home; secondary school and college kids were excused from classes to watch the game in a cafe or bar; loads of workers were expected to call in sick that day; in many companies screens or tv's were set up so employees could have a 1 1/2 hour work brake to watch and then continue work. A toilet tidal wave during half-time was expected; how ridiculous is that!

My wife plays in the female league herself and likes to watch the games of the Dutch team, I usually enjoy this quiet time in my hobby room or on the internet

Some surprises; Italy (former world champion) not qualifying for 8th finals and Spain isn't performing very well while they are considered to be able to get very far. Anyway, enough non-sense!

SB
Old 11th July 2010, 09:51 PM

My team lost. My son's won.....so imagine our day. Overall not a very interesting game. I was hoping for a lot better from both teams. So congrats to all our Spanish board members (do we have any?) and their fans.

Mad Nick
Old 12th July 2010, 04:14 AM

I watched the beginning and the end and was disappointed because I was just beginning tio think soccer may be worth watching once in a while.

Sad that tragedy had to strike even if not in South Africa - why such senseless killing?