Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > FAN PHOTOS, STORIES, COLLECTIONS and DIORAMAS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2012, 11:46 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default New idea for a diorama

It's me again! I have been selling some trees here and there on ebay and privately for all different types of collectors. Amy (aandmkw on the forum) just won all 4 of my ebay tree auctions so you will see some really good photos coming up soon. She is, like most people are, a much better photographer then I am so I'm sure there will be some pictures up here at some point. Well, in an earlier post I was thinking about some vignettes (small dioramas that usually feature a single subject or scene), one on a desert oasis and the other on an underwater scene. Normally I get all of my research materials together and start there. I have not been to any oasis lately so I started with a Google Image search and on Tom Lussier's page I saw this:

I decided that this was the base I wanted to make, at least the pool and rockwork, so I began by cutting a piece of 1/2 inch thick foam poster board. I added height to one corner and began sculpting the rockwork. I didn't get any photos of this step, or the next but by the time the landscaping was added and painted this is what it looked like. The white in the pool is the water proofing gel, when dry it is clear.

The clear plastic in the back is to create the waters edge when I pour the resin, it is like thick water until it dries (in about 24 hours) so I need a dam to keep it from escaping.

Here is a close up of the pool

Here it is with the sealant almost dry, you can see it is going to be perfectly clear by the time it is done.

In these shots I have added the first pour, it will take at least 3 pours so I can add the algae in layers so it is 3 dimensional and growing up from the bottom like in the first photo of the real pool of water.

I will update the photos as I make progress, I am not sure what I will put on this diorama, it is going to be some sort of desert figures, but from what country? I love camels, but what about North American pronghorn antelope? How about an Australian scene? I guess I will finish it I will put it on a shelf and let it collect dust, or sell it as a desert oasis diorama base for modelers or dollhouse collectors.
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:07 PM

What about a Chilean scene, there's lots of animals that you could put in it then: a Puma, Speckled Teal, Huemul, Chilean Flamingos, Guanaco, Condors...

It'd be something different, and rarely seen. Plus, have you done a South American diorama yet?

Old 23rd March 2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, that was actually is actually one of my top choices, a South American dry rock pool, that or something like the American Southwest or Northern Mexico, too many choices to decide right now so I'll have to narrow it down some.

Here are a few photos to show the progress, the last of the algae is added and I just have one more pour to make the surface of the pool. It will have some algae on it as well but I am using a different method to make the mats of algae rather then the stuff growing up from the bottom. Here is what I have so far, enjoy!

Old 24th March 2012, 12:33 AM
Just call me Mad Nick - an Original Reporter

Great wrok. Thanks for sharing.

Mad Nick
Old 24th March 2012, 11:42 PM
chief nitwit/chef beweter

Phil,

Wow! this diorama looks great even though I know it isn't finished yet. All the stuff you've been doing has improved you attention to details. I love the colors so far.
Old 25th March 2012, 01:50 AM

I would have to say, that environment doesn't look very pronghorn-friendly. They like their open spaces and grasses.

But a SW desert with desert Bighorns would work.
Old 25th March 2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyenaSean View Post
I would have to say, that environment doesn't look very pronghorn-friendly. They like their open spaces and grasses.

But a SW desert with desert Bighorns would work.
You can't see it very well in the photos but look at the 3rd diorama photo, the whole back half is all broken grasses and sage, perfect pronghorn habitat! I'll get some photos of the other side as soon as I finish putting the base on.

I do really like the idea of desert bighorns a lot so I am thinking they will have a place on this diorama as well, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 31st March 2012, 07:57 PM

I have added the rest of the algae and poured almost all of the water, all that is left is a very thin layer just to secure the algae and make a smooth surface. I still have some landscaping to do and before I can add the rest of the vegetation I still have to decide what I am going to put on it so I know the native plants. Here are a couple of photos...

Old 1st April 2012, 02:31 AM

Would you ever do something prehistoric? A scene depicting Herrerasaurus & Riojasaurus would be interesting. Maybe have small pterosaurs and Mussasaurus as fillers in the environment.

Old 1st April 2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplume View Post
Would you ever do something prehistoric? A scene depicting Herrerasaurus & Riojasaurus would be interesting. Maybe have small pterosaurs and Mussasaurus as fillers in the environment.
I don't have any plans to do one but I do sell bases quite frequently for dollhouses and model railroads, I don't see why I couldn't do a prehistoric one for you or anyone else for that matter. Send me some artwork (like drawings or fossil photos) of some of the plants that would be found in that type of environment, since I don't know the fauna I am not sure if I could even recreate the plantlife. I just did a scale monkey puzzle tree which is still the same as the fossil record shows, but I didn't save any of the photos of it, Amy (aandmkw here on LG) has it, maybe she would post some photos when she gets a chance.