Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > FAN PHOTOS, STORIES, COLLECTIONS and DIORAMAS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2011, 04:01 AM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default A new diorama base

I just got a book about modeling terrain for dioramas and in it was a chapter on a forest diorama. I actually new this tutorial was in the book and it is the reason I bought the book, titled Advanced Terrain Modelling by Richard Windrow. The book has several tutorials that help me, one on model gardens, one on an English castle which has a wheat field that will help with my grass flat dioramas, all different kinds of ideas. It is fantastic for what I do so I am very happy with it, in fact it was purchased new for 1/3rd the normal retail price even with shipping.

At the end of the chapter on the forest there is a chapter called Techniques which has 3 tutorials one on snow, one on perspective for the diorama, and the most important one of all mud. After reading the chapter I have decided to do 2 mini dioramas one a tidal river at low tide and the other a dried pond with a bunch of dead aquatic vegetation. I have finished the base of the tidal river, I still have a lot to do but here is a photo of my progress.

There is a place about 2 hours from my house where there is a tidal mud flat and the scene is very similar. There is a bunch of green plants that form a carpet over the dry areas, and in between these are large "ponds", I am making a river rather then a mud flat so what I did was to dig out the channel that has a little water left at low tide, and where you see the unplanted brown spots in my dio I will dig out individual mud holes that would be full of water when the tide is high. The river area is very low in this scene, but when the tide is high the water level will rise to the edge of the plants. I am very happy with the results so far, I just have to dig out the mud holes and add the mud, depending on how deep a particular hole is will determine if it is just wet mud or actually has some water in the bottom of it. Along the back side there will be tule reeds and along one side some trees, here in California there are euchalyptus trees which are not native, but I have to decide what I want to do, I could also line the far edge with several types of flowering bushes that are also common. There will be some taller grass growing in the bulk of the short saw grasses and I will have mostly brackish water birds like coots, cormarants, and tall wading birds like heron or egrets depending on what area of the world my scene will depict.

I have not started on the dry mud scene yet but I got the idea when I made a large tree for India, I wanted one more large tree, this tree has some damage, about 1/2 of the tree has fallen a long time ago and the tree seems not to be bothered by it. I used a wood putty for areas of the bark where it is falling off the dead parts of the trunk and as a way to rough up the base and parts of the branches of the tree. Here are a couple of photos to show the size and look of the tree. I haven't put any foliage on yet, it has taken about a week to get to this point although I was going to start on the foliage tonight.

Hope you enjoy these, any comments are welcome.
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:18 AM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Here is another photo of the base, I have added the water, now comes the hard part, adding the bushes and trees.