Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > FAN PHOTOS, STORIES, COLLECTIONS and DIORAMAS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2011, 08:29 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default Some new work on the Indian diorama

After a long hiatus I am finally working on the dioramas again. It seemed to me to be years of not doing anything but making different trees and plants, either for myself or for others but I have done some work on the dioramas again. The project I am working on now is a big one, actually it is 2 separate projects, the first is to remove the tall green grass from the diorama and replace it with shorter patches. When the diorama was started it was just going to be the edge of a tropical forest with a large area for a herd of grazing chital deer and other scrub type animals. Now as you have seen it is a full on rainforest at the rivers edge. I have not begun to take the grass out yet, as I do I'll post photos of the new shorter grass along with the dead fall that will cover the forest floor.

The other project that I have begun is to work on the river bank. Here is a photo of the bank as it was up until a few days ago,

You can see that the river bank is just some rocks that I made lined up along the edge. At one point I was just going to fill the river in so it covered the bottom of the rocks hiding the edge under the muddy water, well I now have a much better idea. Here is how the new rivers edge will look.

The grass you see at the waters edge will be the same grass I use to replace the tall green grass in the few places where there will still be grass, and the water will flow into the reeds and grass a little just like a slow flowing river or stream would. I am going to put the lotus and reeds along with some cattails right at the water so they are growing out of the mud with the bases under water, maybe some of ones to the back will be above the water line. Instead of a fully rock bank there will be some places where large rocks are jutting out of the river but most of the bank will be mud with some rocks along the bank. This is a practice piece, it is about 8 inches by 4 inches but I did not want to try this on the big diorama and find out it doesn't look very good. I am really happy with the results so I will now start the mud and rockscaping of the edge to prepare it for the rest of the water.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:22 PM
Just call me Mad Nick - an Original Reporter

Beautiful (as usual). Well done.

Mad Nick
Old 20th July 2011, 07:54 PM

But can't you pull the rhino out of the river? Are its legs completely emprisonned for life in this solid fake water?
Old 21st July 2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
But can't you pull the rhino out of the river? Are its legs completely emprisonned for life in this solid fake water?
It is worse then that, he will not only be trapped for life but even if he could get out he has no legs at all! Since the actual depth of the water will be less then 1/2 inch I didn't make any legs for him.