Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > FAN PHOTOS, STORIES, COLLECTIONS and DIORAMAS
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 29th May 2011, 08:28 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default Papaya tree model

Just in case there was any confusion, I like to make plants. I especially like to make plant models of trees and bushes that are modeled off of real species or even individual trees that I have seen. While going through my species folders of trees I want to make I picked a papaya tree. Papaya is a small plant that is not actually a true hardwood tree but has a pulpy trunk sort of like a palm trees trunk. It grows up to about 30 ft tall but only lives 5 or 6 years, producing lots of fruit quite frequently. It is originally from the southern countries with most of the species are found in South America but also at least one in Africa. Because of it's fruit bearing quality it is now found throughout the tropics and can be now found as a wild plant all over the forests of the world. The plant has a central trunk with no branches but each leaf grows from a very long stem out from the trunk, so each "branch" has only one leaf

One thing I like about papaya is the leaf is very large, sometimes approaching 3 ft long which is easy for me to make in scale. The thing I hate the most about the leaf is it has 7 serrated lobes that are really hard to reproduce for the model. I found a really good substitute for the leaf in a pet store and I used a rubber mold maker to make about 20 leaves, made the trunk and stems and painted the whole thing. After I attached the fruit I put it on the model and took a photo for everyone. Here you go...
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:46 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

I made a second papaya, this one is so much better, the trunk is thinner and has less scars, the branches thinner and the joint where it attaches is smoother, just everything about it was easier because of the first one I made earlier.

Here is the new one by itself so you can really see it.