Laughing Giraffe

Laughing Giraffe (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/index.php)
-   SPORT/SPORTS (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Racing fans (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/showthread.php?t=4994)

irnm2001 22nd May 2010 11:27 PM

Racing fans

So how boring is the 2010 F1 season? If it wasn't for the rain during the first races I don't think I would not have watched any of it. Any other F1 fans? What do you think of the 2010 first few races?

Maybe you are a racing fan but not the F1 ones?

Let see if we can start something....

Beside the F1, I think the best racing series is the Australian Super V8 series.

Mad Nick

playmofire 23rd May 2010 07:12 AM

It's still boring! Every year there are changes to the rules and we are told that this will mean more exciting racing - and it never does! Racing is exciting when drivers overtake each other on the track, not because of when they time their pit stop. Of course, pit stops can contribute to the excitement, for example, when two drivers are racing closely on the track for a position and each has to stop, but otherwise, overtaking is most exciting on the track.

I can remember the mid-1950s and 1960s racing when the lead could change three or four times a lap (OK, not every race) and there was overtaking throughout the field, so you can understand my frustration. Still more frustrating is that the powers-that-be don't seem to be able to come up with a set of rules that will encourage/allow overtaking. The extreme aerodynamics of modern racing cars is the problem and that partly results from the technical design of engine at the back. Then, to limit the effect of aerodynamic design, rules are added to limit the effect of this! Remember how the thickness of a piece of wood under a X million pound car at the end of a race can turn a winner into a loser? What is needed is a simple formula which would probably mean lower speeds (but how important is it that cars do 190mph or 160mph?) but more overtaking.

Here are some starting ideas:

1. Engine at the front.

2. Minimum weight limit.

3. No aerodynamic bolt-ons - if you can't design it in to the main body, you can't use it.

irnm2001 25th May 2010 12:14 AM

I think F1's biggest problem is wanting to be technologie oriented. The end result of this choice is higher costs. The brakes are a perfect exemple of this. Carbon fiber brakes are very efficient and expensive. If they go back to Non-Carbon fiber the braking distances will increase and should make passing easier.

I do agree with you Gordon, that aerodynamics these days do cause a lot problems for overtaking. Maybe your "No aerodynamic bolt-ons - if you can't design it in to the main body, you can't use it" is a good starting point. However not so hot on the front engin idea.

Anybody elsa has any ideas?

Mad Nick

Helen 26th May 2010 04:57 AM

I used to enjoy watching Formula I and other car racing, but too much technology and rule changes has spoiled them all. But then which sport hasn't been affected by technology?

irnm2001 26th May 2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen (Post 53512)
I used to enjoy watching Formula I and other car racing, but too much technology and rule changes has spoiled them all. But then which sport hasn't been affected by technology?

Technology or drugs, the evil of our times?

Mad Nick

irnm2001 1st June 2010 11:57 PM

Well we've had another F1 race. Once dumb accident and one passing and people get all excited. How sad that our standard are so low that we get excited about nothing. Well the next race is in Montreal, I keep hoping that we get an intersting race soon.

Mad Nick

playmofire 2nd June 2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnm2001 (Post 53606)
Well we've had another F1 race. Once dumb accident and one passing and people get all excited. How sad that our standard are so low that we get excited about nothing. Well the next race is in Montreal, I keep hoping that we get an intersting race soon.

Mad Nick

Couldn't agree more, Nick.

irnm2001 12th June 2010 07:37 PM

One of my favortie racing weekends. First the Montreal GP, I watched the qualifying run this afternoon, it was one the most interesting so far this year. Hamilton has the pole. I hope the race is as interesting.

The other event is the 24 hours at Le Mans. Speed TV is showing a lot of it trhough out the 24 hours, what ever they don,t show on tv you have access to on there web site, they are streaming all of it.....I love the idea of a 24 hour race. I have never been to Le Mans, it must be an awesome experience, 24 hours of vroom vroom :biggrin:

Mad Nick

irnm2001 14th June 2010 02:41 AM

Well, I have to admit it, the Montreal GP was actually fun to watch. Lots of passing and some actual racing. One can not ignore the fact that the race was (again) made interesting because of the weather. Had it not bee so hot we would probably have had another boring race.

As for the 24 hours of Le Mans. Alot more interesting. I'm happy Audi won.

Mad Nick