Laughing Giraffe

Laughing Giraffe (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/index.php)
-   CUSTOMIZED ANIMALS (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   2nd Animal Sculpt - Capybara (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/showthread.php?t=4125)

jhudstone 11th December 2009 03:14 AM

2nd Animal Sculpt - Capybara

I have to say the hardest thing about sculpting these critters is not rushing through it - I get excited to see it done, and I have to make myself go slow.

Here is the second sculpt - a Capybara:

I decided to go with a Capybara at rest, in part because I saw a great picture of one, and really liked the way he was laying.

Hope you enjoy! Any feedback is appreciated.

Lasersword1973 11th December 2009 04:31 AM

For me, this gentle giant rodent's model is much much better because it really captured the more realistic colors. :wink: I would say, it's simply amazing. :smile:

A big congratulations to you and to your masterpiece. :cool:

Hope to see more of your creations soon. :smile:

esle9 11th December 2009 04:34 AM

That is Excelent! Very good pose, and great painting

Kikimalou 11th December 2009 05:12 AM

One by day ! You are a real stakhanovist :eek:.

Another good choice for this so emblematic south American citizen.

Congratulation because your attempt is better than the critters produced in China. I mean you catch a natural pose and that's the most important IMHO. :smile:

philter4 11th December 2009 07:52 AM

Another great sculpture, I love capybara, and there is only one model of them made that I am aware of, an old Chinese model that looks ok, but could be so much better, the pose you chose is great, now you should make another sitting, they are almost always found in groups.

HKHollinstone 11th December 2009 08:05 AM

That's incredible, really good, congrats.:smile:

HKHollinstone 11th December 2009 08:17 AM

What do you use jhudstone to make your models? And how do you get them so smooth? I find Daz/clay tends to split and it's very hard to make it smooth.

Kiryuha 11th December 2009 11:39 AM

Looks very nice! And how does it feel when holding in hands?

jhudstone 11th December 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKHollinstone (Post 43116)
What do you use jhudstone to make your models? And how do you get them so smooth? I find Daz/clay tends to split and it's very hard to make it smooth.

I use Cernit - I find it is very stong, and yet somewhat flexible even after it is cured. I got the idea to use it from the artist on this site, who uses it to make the sculpts of many of the Safari dinosaurs.

I know other artist use Magic Sculpt; I haven't tried that yet, but I would like to.

jhudstone 11th December 2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiryuha (Post 43125)
Looks very nice! And how does it feel when holding in hands?

Thanks - that is an interesting question. It feels more solid than you average PVC creature of the same size, not as flexible, but still somewhat flexible.